Read indie game reviews here!

Read indie game reviews here!

Monday 22 June 2015

Rainbow. An indie game review.



Hello fellow readers. Today I am reviewing an indie game called rainbow by DarkBloodbane.

Rainbow is a shooter/arcade game about shooting the right coloured laser to destroy the right coloured shape. Destroying the wrong coloured shape with the wrong coloured laser will have side effects depending on the shape.

The game status is complete and playable.

So let's get started.

Graphics: 

The are simple, but nice and it fits quite well with the game. The only problem I had was the menu being too colourful and hurting my eyes a bit.





Sound:

I have no problem with the sounds and they are very nice. Nothing needs to be improved in this area.


Music:

The music is perfect and I quite like it. The music gives the game that arcade feeling. The problem with it is that the music is faster than the actual gameplay which is an issue for me down below in the gameplay review.


Gameplay:

Gameplay is fun at the start but get's a tiny bit repetitive for me as all you are doing is shooting different coloured shapes, the game does get more dangerous as you advance and even has boss battles. Power-ups could be added to make the gameplay more fun. 
Now as I was saying in the music review, it doesn't match the gameplay speed, also I feel the game is too slow and should be more faster to correspond to the music.





Controls:

The controls are actually very hard to use and this is the biggest problem for me that spoils the game. You need to understand which key shoots which colour beam. I feel the colour name should correspond which the key with the first name of the colour to help people understand which key to use.


Difficulty:

Like I said above, the controls need to be changed but the overall gameplay is fine. Not to hard, not to easy.


Settings:

There is a wide choice of settings to optimize the game to your liking which I like very much. This is really well done.







Tutorial/How to play:

Now the Instructions are on a timer meaning that you have to read it in a certain amount of time which is not good for people who need to get the hang of the game, also the beam key text doesn't tell you which key it is. The instructions could either be on one page or a few pages which let's you go to the next page at a click of a button and not a timer.







What I liked:

To be honest, this game was not one of the greats for me. The concept is good but I feel if the suggestions I have below are in the game, I would really enjoy it.


What I didn't like:

So let's go over what I didn't like:

1) I din't like the colourful menu
2) The gameplay music speed didn't correspond to the actual gameplay.
3) Very hard controls to get the hang of.
4) Repetitive gameplay
5) Tutorial goes by way to fast.


Overall game rating:

4.1/5

The game has great potential. It just needs improvements in some areas, that's all.


Try it out!

That was my honest opinion on the game, but don't take my word for it, try it out yourself!



Oh I almost forgot. The way I rated the last two games was completely a random rating I thought would go well with the game. This rating is based on smaller ratings on the graphics, music, gameplay, ect. Sorry about the other two games, it won't happen again.












2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your reviews!
    I can't complaint about music, this was made for 1 month game jam and I didn't get various music to choose from for this game so I just used decent music for this game.
    That's same problem I had with Space Bagel which has same music as this

    For howtoplay, player can change keys in options menu so it would be waste typing specific key. But you're right about timer, I should've make it skippable instead of time based like this
    Now that you mention it, I just realized that instruction could have different interpretation.

    BTW please fix this line : "as all you are doing is shooting different coloured squares" . This game features other levels which features balls, octagons and hexagons so that line is wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, no problem. The music fits well, it just has to be the same speed as the gameplay. About the change keys, I only mentioned that for someone who jumps right in the game and I forgot to put out how you can change the controls

      And the line has been fixed.

      Delete